Right now as we swelter through a particularly sticky and hot summer, autumn seems like a lifetime away. But in just a few weeks (we hope!), the weather will begin to cool and we can look forward to the crisp chill in the air that signals the change of season.
Autumn is a fantastic time to declutter, get rid of the old to allow in fresh clean energy, and it’s a particularly good time to prepare your garden for the winter months. With great options for rubbish removal in Haberfield and nearby suburbs, it’s easy to get the job done without fuss.
The best time all year for soil preparation occurs in autumn, and this will go a long way towards guaranteeing beautiful blooms in your garden when spring eventually comes. Proper soil preparation will optimise the capacity of your soil to hold moisture in order for you to have a healthy garden in the months ahead.
What should be on your garden to-do list for early autumn?
Out with the Old
- Dig out all weeds and roots of dying plants
- Get rid of old vines
- Eliminate diseased vegetable plants
- Pull up dead or dying annuals – these have had all the life they are going to
- Remove all plant debris including dead leaved and flower heads
Prep for the New
- Spread mulch or compost over your soil
- Till the soil – which simply means turning and breaking up the soil. This will improve drainage and increase the oxygen available to the roots of plants
- Compost and mulch fallen autumn leaves as well as grass clippings and suitable kitchen waste (never compost diseased plants or weeds).
Plant for winter
- Plant spinach, lettuce, and broccoli for winter harvest
- Plant new trees and shrubs
- Plant bulbs including tulips, hyacinth, daffodils, and iris
- Divide and replant perennials if they are getting too bushy.
- Cut stems on perennials to five to ten centimetres from the ground, except for those that bloom in autumn and winter (iris, Oriental poppy).
Don’t neglect to maintain your garden tools and equipment. They need to be looked after. If necessary, invest in new tools.
What should you do with all the garden waste and rubbish that you don’t compost? Call us at AA Adonis for rubbish removals in Haberfield and throughout Sydney’s metropolitan area. We will come to your location and load all non-hazardous rubbish for proper and sustainable disposal that is fast and convenient!