Rubbish removal in Birrong, as with elsewhere in the Sydney Metropolitan region, requires a huge undertaking by council and other private rubbish removal organisations. Too often, we throw items away without considering how they can be repurposed and reused.
Have you stopped to think about how that piece of unwanted stuff you’re about to throw away could be given a new life? Here are some tips to consider…
- An old baby gate or play pen can be repurposed as a garden trellis
- Store ends of stick chalk with costume jewellery – it will stop it from tarnishing. Blackboard chalk can also be used to mend holes in walls caused by nails.
- Matching buttons can be used to make earrings or cufflinks.
- Candle stubs are good for use as fire-starters. They are also great for releasing stuck zippers – just rub the candle stub along both sides of the zipper.
- Egg cartons make great storage for Christmas tree decorations
- Wooden spoons and paddle pop sticks are great for marking garden seedlings and plants
- Old nylon hosiery can be reused as plant ties, snood hair nets, etc.
- A broken picture frame can be repurposed with picture wire to make an earring holder.
- AN old basket or wooden box with a lid is a great recycling centre.
- Broken terracotta pots can make attractive garden markers
- Old photo corners are great for attaching gift cards to presents.
- Old scraps of sandpaper are good for sharpening scissors.
- Old paper towel tubes are good for storing plastic bags.
- Use a hair flat iron for collar and sleeve ironing touch ups.
- Use nylon mesh orange and lemon bags for the benefit of your local birds. Fill with dryer lint, short yarn pieces, tiny twigs, etc and hang it outside. The birds will use the contents to build their nests.
- Glass jars can be washed, labels removed, and reused for storage. Alternatively, collect cooking grease in these (never put it down the sink) and throw it away in general household waste.
- Use disposable razors to remove pills from woollen clothes.
This is just a small sample of ideas – all it takes is some imagination and an internet search!
For those things you just want to get rid of, call for to-your-door rubbish removal in Birrong by AA Adonis Rubbish Removals. We recycle and send on for repurposing as much as we can. We’d love to hear from you!