Sharps disposal is something most of us probably give little thought to, however for some it is a fact of life and the need to consider sharps when taking care of rubbish removal in Cronulla, for example, is very important.
It’s not just recreational drug users who use sharps on a regular basis. People with diabetes who take insulin, or those on various medications for disorders such as cancer, HIV, and autoimmune disorders as well as women undergoing IVF require self-injection and this means sharps that need to be disposed of safely.
Proper Sharps Disposal:
- Place used needles or sharps in a sharps disposal container immediately after use
- Only unsheathe a needle immediately before use
- Carry a small portable sharps container when travelling
- Find out about sharps disposal programs in your area
- Keep sharps disposal containers out of reach of kids and pets
- Throw sharps in the rubbish bin
- Flush needles or sharps down the toilet
- Place sharps in a recycling bin
- Recap a needle used by another person
Cronulla is covered by Sutherland Shire Council, and the Council provides free and safe sharps disposal service for diabetics and other patients to safely discard their needles, pen needles, and lancets.
Sharps disposal containers are available at your local pharmacy or from Diabetes Australia NSW. These can be returned, sealed, to various local pharmacy operators for proper disposal.
You can also use a screw top, strong container of plastic (like an empty laundry detergent bottle). Make sure it is clearly labelled as containing medical sharps and properly sealed.
Other drop off locations for sharps disposal (within certain hours) in the Sutherland Shire include the following:
- Caringbah Women’s Health Information Centre
- Engadine Community Services
- Gymea Community Aid and Information Service
- Sutherland Shire Community Services
- Biohazard Trauma and Crime Scene Cleaning offers a Needle and Syringe Clearance Cleanup and Removal in Cronulla for private and public areas frequented by drug users.
For larger scale, non-hazardous waste removal, call AA Adonis Rubbish Removals in Cronulla, and we will come and remove all of your rubbish for you. We come to your location, sort and load you unwanted goods, and your rubbish (with the exception of hazardous waste), promptly and at a great price. Call Andrew today!