Recycling is the one big thing we can all do to help protect our environment. Yes, we can also try to consume less, but recycling is a simple way to do our individual part for the world around us. When you arrange rubbish removal in Willoughby, recycling should be a priority.
Why is recycling so important? Consider the following facts:
- Rotting waste in landfill is frequently toxic to the environment, as it releases carbon dioxide and methane gas. Both of these contribute to global warming and the deterioration of our planet.
- Landfill space is running out worldwide, including in Australia and in the Sydney metropolitan area.
- Landfill, over time, creates a toxic liquid called leachate. Leachate is a mix of rainwater, organic acids, and dissolved chemicals. This contaminates soil, waterways, the air, and is harmful to all forms of life.
- Humans dump millions of tonnes of rubbish, including plastics and hazardous waste, into the ocean. This rubbish is dangerous to marine life and sea birds.
How does recycling help?
- Recycling diverts waste materials from landfill. Waste materials are instead sorted, repurposed, and reused.
- Manufacturing of new products from recycled material uses far less energy, water, and resources than does manufacturing from raw materials.
- For example, one tonne of paper or suitable cardboard that is recycled saves two and a half barrels of oil and thirteen trees. If all of us recycled these, the savings for the environment would be enormous.
- A year’s worth of daily newspapers, if discarded into landfill instead of being recycled, results in 350kg of carbon dioxide production each year. All clean newspaper is recyclable.
Recycling works. It reduces landfill conserves natural resources, saves fresh water, cuts greenhouse gases, and helps protect marine life.
Recycle all suitable plastics, aluminium cans and foil, steel, paper, cardboard, cartons, glass, and also try to compost organic food waste, or create a worm farm. Note that lids that are plastic have to be removed and placed in general garbage.
Be aware that you should never recycle plastic bags, soiled nappies, used sanitary items, medical glass, ceramics, or hazardous or liquid waste into the kerbside council-provided recycling bin. Batteries and light bulbs also do not belong in kerbside recycling bins – contact your local council for instructions on where and how to recycle these.
For sustainable rubbish removal in Willoughby, call AA Adonis Rubbish Removals today on 0418 671 297. Andrew is waiting for your call!