Here at AA Adonis Rubbish Removals, we take away and properly dispose of a vast array of items and unwanted goods. We do not, however, handle hazardous waste – and this includes asbestos. When you seek rubbish removal in Yagoona and surrounding suburbs, there are some things you need to know about safe disposal of asbestos and other hazardous items.
Asbestos is amongst the most challenging things to discard and remove from your home.
Asbestos has been mined for thousands of years, and was very widespread in use for the building industry a century ago. It was prized for its sound absorption, as well as its fire and heat resistance. It is a very effective insulator. Throughout last century, it was used as a common fireproof and soundproof material.
Now we also know that asbestos is also a health hazard. A silicate mineral; it’s made from long, fibrous crystals which are comprised of millions of microscopic fibres. If disturbed, these can be released into the atmosphere. The dust created by atmospheric asbestos can be easily inhaled, and this can commonly cause cancer in the chest.
Asbestos waste must be removed, packed, transported, stored and disposed of with extreme care. It is classified as either stabilised (for example, cement asbestos sheeting, or tiles), or fibre and dust waste (including insulation, brake lining dust, or asbestos dust from ventilation systems).
- Asbestos must be stored in an environmentally responsible way.
- Asbestos waste must be thoroughly wetted then completely sealed in heavy duty plastic prior to transportation.
- Any soil containing asbestos contaminant must be wetted down.
- Waste must be transported in a leak-proof, covered vehicle designated for such use.
- Asbestos can only be dumped in a licensed landfill facility which legally accepts asbestos waste.
- It is illegal to discard asbestos in a domestic bin.
- Asbestos products must never be reused, recycled, or illegally dumped.
Sydney currently has landfill rubbish tips in the area which may accept asbestos waste. Asbestos waste can be dropped off at:
- Sydney Transwaste Industries, at Homebush West
- Blacktown Waste Service, at Marsden Park.
There are also some businesses which offer asbestos waste pickups – including Thuroona Asbestos Removals. Contact the Environmental Protection Authority or SITA for more information for asbestos rubbish removal in Yagoona.