You probably give little thought to rubbish removal in Darling Point beyond your weekly council kerbside bin collection. But have you ever wondered what happens to your general waste?
It’s unfortunately almost natural for us to adopt an “out of sight, out of mind” philosophy about our waste generation and rubbish. It is very important to understand, however, that humans are generating more waste and rubbish than ever before in the history of mankind, due to our population explosion, consumerist habits, and apathy about the planet on which we reside. This is in spite of the many ways we may be able to recycle. We discard a shocking amount of rubbish and most of it goes to landfill.
Did you know?
- Australia ranks fifth in the industrialised world for waste generation. This is appalling as we have a relatively very small population when compared with other developed nations.
- Every year, Australians send millions of tonnes of rubbish to landfill.
- The rubbish that is disposed of into general waste bins or left out for council cleanups is automatically taken dumped in landfill.
- Sydney landfill sites are very close to full capacity.
- Rubbish dumped into a landfill takes decades or even longer to decompose. Some items take thousands of years to fully decompose, and many of these (such as glass) can be fully recycled.
- The landfill is not environmentally safe. A lot of the waste dumped in landfill is toxic and harmful to plant, bird, animal, aquatic, and human life.
- Toxic items including medicines and cleaning agents, batteries, and light bulbs contaminate the soil, air and water when dumped in a landfill, leaching harmful chemicals into the environment.
- Landfill attracts rodents (which in turn attract snakes) and insects which spread disease.
The solution? Reuse and recycle as much as possible, including donating unwanted items. Aim to consume less, and repair instead of buying new all the time.
Call AA Adonis Rubbish Removals in Darling Point to remove your rubbish and do so in a sustainable way. We are dedicated to environmentally responsible rubbish disposal, and we make sure we recycle as much as we can. Call us today to arrange a pickup.