January is the time for new beginnings and New Year’s Resolutions. It’s a time we make all kinds of vows to ourselves to be better and to do better, yet by the end of the month most resolutions have fallen by the wayside. But there is one thing which is achievable – to resolve to minimise waste and to affect better rubbish removal in Rockdale and elsewhere…
There are various ways to affect rubbish removal, including local council kerbside waste removal services and also using private rubbish removal companies like the great team at AA Adonis Rubbish Removals, who come to your door to sort, load, and take away non-hazardous waste of on your behalf.
As a householder, you can do so much to minimise and reduce the amount of waste that you produce, as well as taking steps to keep unwanted rubbish out of landfill.
Simple tips and tactics include:
- Choose to buy things that are reusable, recyclable, or rechargeable
- Borrow or rent equipment that you rarely use rather than purchasing it
- Consider using or buying good quality second hand goods in preference to new
- Buy non-perishable items (e.g. toilet paper, soap, detergent, pet food, cat litter, nappies) in bulk
- Donate unwanted items that are of good quality to charities – including books, toys, clothing, DVDs, furniture, etc
- Invest in an e-reader to download books rather than buying paper books
- Read newspapers and magazines online
- Take your own non-plastic bags when you go grocery shopping
- Reuse plastic grocery bags as bin liners in your kitchen and bathroom
- Buy fresh fruit and vegetables loose. Only purchase what you will consume Compost food scraps or blend them and use as fertiliser
- Pack sandwiches etc in washable lunchboxes instead of using plastic bags paper bags, or wrap.
- Freeze suitable leftovers for another meal rather than throwing food in the bin.
- Rehydrate wilted vegetables – simply trim the stalks and stand them in fresh water
- Plant native plants in your garden – these require less raking, watering, and pruning and elicit less green waste to be removed
- Avoid disposable products – wash and reuse plates, knives, forks, and cups
- Avoid Styrofoam as much as possible – it is not recyclable and it won’t break down in landfill
- Look at ways to re-imagine clothing you already have that is in good condition: raise hemlines, dye clothing another colour, have clothing tailored, convert dresses to skirts, or have a clothing swap with friends or colleagues
- Donate unwanted, good quality baby goods to a pregnant friend or acquaintance
- Buy products packaged in recycled packaging, or choose packaging that can itself be recycled
- Buy recycled paper for computer printers
- Buy detergents as concentrates and use less product
- Wash and reuse glass jars
- Avoid use of harmful chemicals wherever possible
- Buy unbleached tissue, towel and toilet paper made from recycled materials
- Repair broken items wherever possible rather than buying new
- Reuse egg cartons for seedling growth
- Before purchasing, ask yourself, do you really need it? Do you really want it? Is there a better alternative?
- Purchase gift cards, dinner vouchers, and experience vouchers rather than potentially unwanted gifts.
- Say no to junk mail in your physical letterbox
- Buy quality that is made to last
For fast rubbish removal in Rockdale and elsewhere in Sydney’s, call Andrew at AA Adonis Rubbish Removals on 0418 671 297 today.