Whether you need rubbish removal in Moore Park or in the bush, one thing that needs specific handling is chemical waste. It can be very confusing to know how to properly dispose of chemical waste, and too many people just put it in the bin. This is not at all acceptable.
We all have some variety of chemical waste in our homes. It could be leftover or unwanted common chemicals which we find in the kitchen, bathroom, laundry, garage, or garden shed. In most cases it is material we don’t give a lot of thought to – yet when it comes to safe disposal, it is crucial to get it right.
Most people simply throw this type of waste out in the general waste rubbish bin – and that is dangerous in landfill, to humans, pets, wildlife, and the environment. It is also incredibly harmful to our water supply as it impacts on runoff and stormwater – and it can ultimately affect human health and wellbeing.
The following chemicals are considered to be hazardous waste:
- Ammonia-based cleaners
- Floor care products
- Solvents and other cleaners
- Pesticides and weed killers
- Fluorescent light tubes and globes
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
- Smoke Detectors
- Mercury thermometers or barometers
- Car batteries
- Motor fluids and oils
- Pool chemicals
- Paints and mineral turpentine
- Acids and alkaline products
- Petrol or fuel
- Hobby chemicals, paints and glues
- Medications including injections, pills, and solutions
It is very important that none of these products ever be discarded in the general waste bin, dumped, or poured down a drain.
In NSW, the EPA’s Chemical Clean Out service provides a solution for safe chemical disposal. Items can be dropped off at various locations throughout Sydney and other cities, at various times throughout the year for safe and professional disposal of a variety of types of chemical. The EPA NSW website can provide more information.
Alternatively, you can contact your local council for advice specific to your suburb.
Once collected, chemical waste items will be handled specifically according to their nature and will be recycled or incinerated safely.
AA Adonis Rubbish Removal Services do not remove chemicals or other hazardous waste – but we are committed to informing citizens of how important it is that these things be disposed of safely and legally. For all other rubbish removal in Moore Park, give us a call today.
- Unwanted or expired medications should be returned to your local pharmacy for safe disposal
- Never mix chemicals
- Keep matches and all types of lighters well away from chemicals
- Keep all chemicals clearly labelled and sealed in their original containers
- Unknown chemicals should be sealed tight, labelled as unknown, and disposed of by the EPA
- Store containers upright and always keep them well out of reach of children and pets
- Leaky containers should be wrapped in newspaper and double bagged and sealed, with clear and obvious labelling
- Transport chemicals in the boot of the car or in a trailer – not in the passenger section of the vehicle. Ideally, travel with a window down when transporting chemicals.