Rubbish removal, Woolloomooloo to Western Sydney, is a concern for everyone, and we should all endeavour to do our part to minimise waste and to dispose of that waste we do generate responsibly.
Christmas is a time of year when the rubbish we generate seems to multiply. From wrapping paper to cards, excess food to getting rid of the old to accommodate the new, more material is thrown out in December and early January than at any other time of year. Waste is by far the biggest environmental issue in Australia at Christmas.
Australians produce forty million tonnes of waste each year; at Christmas, normal levels are exceeded due to Christmas trees, unwanted gifts, food, and packaging. Of the almost 80% of Australians that receive an unwanted gift each year, almost 15% will throw them away – into landfill. Up to 20% of food purchased at Christmas is discarded – this translates to as much as thirteen million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions. Add to this the fact that many gifts require batteries – 8000 tonnes of which are incorrectly disposed of each year. Christmas is not good for the environment!
Mindful Australians can find many ways to minimise waste at Christmas – by making more thoughtful purchases of gifts and food, reusing leftovers, and discarding rubbish in a more considered way:
- Re-gift unwanted presents – many charities will be grateful to receive brand new, unused items.
- Paper plates, plastic mugs, and other disposable tableware might be convenient, but they end up in landfill. Take an extra moment and simply wash up crockery and cutlery.
- Recycle Christmas cards and wrapping paper.
- Gifts that are experiences as opposed to items require no wrapping and have no packaging.
- If giving gifts that need batteries, consider giving rechargeable batteries as well.
- Eat leftovers in the day or two after Christmas.
- Recycle old mobile phones at your local mobile dealer
- Compost suitable food waste.
Call AA Adonis Rubbish Removals in Woolloomooloo and elsewhere in Sydney for fast and convenient removal of all manner of non-hazardous rubbish – we sort and distribute your unwanted goods appropriately.